Fruit is delicious, but sometimes it goes bad too quickly. This smoothie is made from frozen berries, making it easier to keep ingredients on hand. Berries are high in antioxidants, vitamins, and phytochemicals, which are important for workout/shift recovery and chronic disease prevention.
Active Prep Time: 5 minutes
Makes 1, 16 oz serving
- ¾ cup frozen mixed berries
- ¾ cup almond, dairy, or soy milk
- 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder
- 1-2 handfuls of spinach (optional but recommended)
- Combine the ingredients into a 16 oz portable blender cup and blend. Add ice as needed
- 1 smoothie: 200 calories, 15g carbs, 3g fat, 26g protein, 3g fiber (almond milk)
- To get a full serving of veggies without the taste, add spinach. Fresh spinach blended into smoothies is tasteless, but it will turn your smoothie green!
- Add oats or dairy milk to increase the calories for weight gain or as a meal replacement.
- Pair with whole-grain toast or a whole grain granola bar
Megan Lautz, MS, RD, CSCS, TSAC-F
Megan is a Registered Dietitian and coach who specializes in firefighter nutrition. Megan’s mission is to help firefighters perform better, recover faster, and enjoy long healthy retirements. Megan is the owner of RescueRD LLC, which provides nutrition seminars and coaching for tactical athletes across the country. Check out @Rescue.RD on Facebook and Instagram.